Thursday, July 30, 2015

Homework Expectations

As I explained in my last post, I like for my students to have a process to follow for...everything.  I described by Group Work Expectations, so today, I'll show you my homework expectations.

I'm trying something new this year.  In the past, I've written the homework for each class on a white board on the side of the room.  It worked ok.  But I often found myself scrambling to identify exactly which problems to assign, and I had to update my students' website every day with the homework, and students would forget to write it down until the very end of class and then be late to their next class.  SO, I have taken an idea from my mentor, and my Algebra students will now get all of their homework assignments for the unit at once, complete with due dates, problem numbers, etc.  It will also tell them when the test is.  I hope this helps students stay on top of their work responsibly. 

I'm not sure yet if I'll be able to do the same thing for my new preps, 2 levels of Calculus.

When students do homework in my class, I expect that they have a proper heading, write the problem, show their work, indicate their answer, check their work.  Now that I'm writing up the assignments ahead of time, I'm also going to ask students to use the 'assignment number' from their unit plan sheet to help keep track of all their notes and papers.  I want my students to be aware of my expectations, so that I can hold them to high standards.  So I made a poster.  I also think I'll print these out 4 to a page (or so) for student reference.

Here is the dropbox link for the editable file: https://www.dropbox.com/s/31n4bxkzp11k7lh/Homework%20Process.docx?dl=0

And here is an picture of the file.  I used a border I downloaded a while ago and the font Organic Fridays Lined





What are your homework expectations?  Anything I'm missing?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...